* RECOMENDED TACKLE

image from : bishfish.co.nz

Tackle on the Move - Trolling


All good anglers know that now and then they must evaluate their tackle box, tackle bag, or what ever. They are remiss if they don't check it out the day before a planned trip. The other day preceding a trip I found one of my trolling plugs missing. Thank goodness I caught it because it was this time last year that the marauding yellowtail appeared on the Huntington Flats. I certainly didn't want to be caught without a back up to the killer Rapala that did them in last year and I was planning to troll the flats the next day.

Actually, my trolling tackle is always on hand for any trip, whether trolling is planned or not. Most of the time trolling becomes a part of the fishing attack because all other methods have failed and as a last resort I begin a troll. You must be ready for any fishing method though and the necessary tackle should be at your fingertips.

All boaters need to find a common place for a minimum of trolling gear, especially those speedy small boats that are launched at the ramps each weekend. Speed is a great attribute because you can get to many prospective fishing spots in a hurry. This is especially true for spread out trolling areas that suddenly show fish boiling everywhere.

I like to use large plugs that can be pulled with speed for the yellowtail and slower speeds for the bass and barracuda. The big plus with large plugs is that mackerel won't grab them. (most of the time). Sometime mackerel can be so thick you simply cannot troll a small 4-5 inch plug 10 feet without catching one. Also you have to use saltwater type plugs that will withstand the powerful whacks of a freight train yellowtail or a 60 pound mako shark.

Years ago while trolling a 6 inch fresh water plug, I got struck by a fish that that tore the body off my line and left me with the diving lip to which I had tied my line.

So now I use only 7 to 10½ inch plugs. I carry the following Rapalas at all times in my tackle box:

2 each: Stainless Steel Magnum, 7 inch, Green Mackerel, #SSCDMAG18.

2 each: Stainless Steel Magnum, 9 inch, 1 each Green Mackerel and 1 each Firetiger #SSCDMAG22.

2 each: Magnum 10 ½ inch, 1 each Green Mackerel and 1 each Firetiger
#CDMAG26.

2 each: Sliver, 8 inch, 1 each Green, and 1 each Silver #SL20. These
Slivers can be pulled through the water at the fastest speeds of all
the Rapalas.

Trolling rods have to be heavy so usually you have to have a rod that is used exclusively for trolling. The following rods are proven trollers that can withstand the strike of the largest yellowtail or mako shark even with the drag hammered and fished in gear.

Penn Power Stick. PC-3866 MH 6'6" Med-Heavy #20-#50 pound
Cal Star West Coast Series. H 6' Heavy #30-#80 pound

Reels used for trolling have to have very smooth drags and hold #40 pound line or heavier.

Penn Special Senator. 113 H-L.H. 4/0 approx. 40/300.

Daiwa Sealine H 400H approx. 40/300, 50/280

Bigfish.com
 

Copyright © 2009 by TROLLING FISHING